Monday, June 21, 2010

Video - Design for Life

What an amazing experience!! To be given the opportunity to work under Philippe Starck. Starck's quirky French personality shone through every episode and it was a rather honourable initiative to create his school of design. I dare say it was a learning experience for all; for me as the viewer, for the students interpretting Starck's briefs and designing in a professional environment and for Starck himself as their teacher and mentor as he faced challenges every time the students presented.

For me it was a learning experience seeing how each of the students presented their ideas and working out how I would have approched the problem, and compared myself the other students. Hearing Starck's critisisms was also quite useful to hear as he challenged them to think not only more professionally but to think deeper into the problem and solution and reinforced the idea that all poducts have a story and which should complement the user and the environment.

His unconventional methods were inspiring and challenge me as a designer in the way I appoach a design problem so achieve a fuller idea and to produce a wholistic solution.

No comments: